Monday 17 May 2010

Barbaric Customs...

Everybody needs to rebel...

Short of collecting A.S.B.Os, injecting narcotics or throwing televisions through hotel windows, my little rebellion of choice is that of the Tattoo variety. Though I am by no means the Tattooed man from a victorian freak show, I'm wracking up a small collection and have my next one planned and in the pipeline.
Tattoos (in my opinion) can be amazing, artistic and liberating things. When executed with a skillful hand and chosen with a tasteful eye, a tattoo can be a thing of rare beauty.


True, there are some bloody dreadful ones walking around (see the examples below)... Nothing quite like having the the word "EXREME" plastered across your chest or a shark devouring a baby in the safety of your armpit.


But... BIG BUT... it cannot be ignored that, since ancient times, the human race has loved adorning and embellishing their bodies. I find it very interesting that tattoos can be looked upon with such a disapproving eye when body modification is happening in almost every walk of life across the globe. Be it ear piercing (or any other piercing for that matter) make up, the latest fashion, tummy tuck pants, push up bras, high heels or hairstyles. They are all methods we humans employ in the endless struggle for individuality. They all take us that little bit further from 'the way we were made' and push us slightly closer to being unique... different... special!?

I for one love tattooing and stand firmly by the fact that it is no longer reserved as the dockside practice of sailors and skurvy dogs. Tattooing (good tattooing) is a fine, delicate art form that requires a skilled artist and a brave volunteer.
Here's to fine art...
Here's to barbaric customs
x


1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love the almost romantic way in which you approach tattoos, but I still can't come eye to eye with them myself. Perhaps it's that I'd be so easily swayed into covering my body with God-only-knows-what, or my envy of those brave enough to make such a permanent statement on their skin, but something makes me screw my face up.

I suppose to have something so permanent adorned upon ones body requires truly knowing one's self. Maybe I don't.

My verification word to post this was "rhomptre". Maybe I'll get a tattoo of that!